2017's day for dads is just around the corner, and many of us are in gift-planning mode. I love to buy gifts, and if I could spend every dime of our money just buying stuff for people that would almost be a dream job. But for many people, buying stuff for dads is tricky. Most of the men in our lives tend to be pretty simple creatures, and an awful lot of them suffer from the "if I want it, I'll just get it myself" type of mentality. That can be...notsohelpful to those of us trying to surprise them with wonderful things they will both love and actually use.
Here are a few suggestions for those of you on the prowl for great stuff.
- Saddleback Leather - Leather Pouch Wallet
There are few things more manly than a good piece of Saddleback Leather. I wrote about them back in 2015 and not much has changed in 2 years, except now we have more favorite pieces. They sent me this Leather Pouch Wallet (ours is shown here in Tobacco) in exchange for an honest review. It is one of their newest designs and secretly I love this one over all their wallet options because The Captain likes the wallet part and let me have the pouch part. You guys. It's like a double gift in one little package - something for him AND something for you! The wallet is sufficient to keep his cards and cash (LOL - like we even carry cash) organized but not too big as to bulk up his pocket space. Dudes can be weird about that. This one is available in several colors and you can order it directly through the Saddleback site. Several of their products are even available on Amazon.
- Moonshine Cologne - I slid this one on and off the list a few times because I can be such a selfish monster, but this is hands down the best smelling cologne ever. It has such an earthy, manly but not musty scent and I love it because it is so different than all the other colognes out there. Matt has worn it for years, and apparently I'm now mature enough to share the scent with others. You're welcome.
- Kayak/gear - We live in the Birmingham, AL area which has a magnificent supply of options for fun in the great outdoors. I gave The Captain a kayak for Christmas (well, I wrapped up a Barbie kayak and then we picked it up from Dick's Sporting Goods later), and he has really enjoyed it. My best tips here are two-fold. 1) Do your research. Check out sites like this one and this one to figure out what specific type will work for your person. OR 2) Don't do your research. Just wrap up a Barbie kayak and let him get what he wants later. Either way, the dad you're buying for ends up a happy paddler.
- Timbuktu bags - These things are rugged yet metro. They're sleek but also have pockets aplenty. They're really cool bags/backpacks/messenger bags that are extremely well made. The Captain loves his messenger bag and backpack, and as someone who travels A LOT he knows a lot about the best/most convenient bags out there.
- He Reads Truth - For those of you with dudes who are interested in Bible study and application, this site has some very modern resources...and a great sale to boot!
- Uncommon Goods - This website is so fun and quirky I just cannot even stop the browsing. From manly hygiene kits to the coolest cocktail set ever (and by "ever" I do mean "ever on the planet of Geekdom") to this totally random and unbelievably awesome steampunk kinetic key holder. Welcome to the World of Random! At least you know you can find something he doesn't have on this site!
Happy shopping, amigos! Now go! Go find him something fabulous!